One way my family saves money is by eating what is in season. With St. Patrick’s Day a few days away, now is the time to find things like cabbage and corned beef on sale. Here are a few recipes my family loves using these seasonal items.
Chicken and Sauerkraut: FREEZER recipe
This recipe is great to just prep and cook or freeze ahead. It can easily be doubled to accommodate feeding more people.
- Mix first 4 ingredients
- Lay chicken on the bottom of a baking pan
- Top with mixture
- Bake @ 350 (cover for 1st 30 minutes, uncovered for 1 hour)
- Place raw chicken breasts in the bottom of a gallon sized ziploc
- Mix the mustard and brown sugar
- Top the chicken with your mixture
- Add onions and sauerkraut
- Seal your bag (lay ingredients flat in the bag for better results)
- Label and freeze
- To cook: thaw and use the cooking instructions from above or place in the crockpot frozen and cook for 4-6 hours.
Crock pot: Corned Beef and Cabbage
4lbs Corned beef brisket (score a great deal on corned beef with a rebate that is running right now)
- place corned beef in the bottom of your crock pot (cut it down to fit if you need)
- layer remaining ingredients on top
- cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours (high 6-8 hours)
DIY Canning Sauerkraut
Easy Homemade Reubens
Okay so these are totally “Amy Style” reubens. My first priority when cooking is my budget so I am quick to substitute if it saves me a trip to the store. If you are looking for a more gourmet Reuben recipe or another twist on this Irish classic try one like these delicious recipes.(posted by huffingtonpost.com)
butter rye bread (we honestly use any bread. I have even used pita bread before) thousand island dressing (homemade recipe below)
swiss cheese (I even like it with provolone.)
corned beef ** If you don’t like corned beef try pastrami or even roast beef
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Place one slice of bread onto the pan.
- Layer with remaining ingredients and finally with the second slice of bread.
- Flip sandwich over to fully toast your rueben.
- Remove your sandwich from the heat and enjoy
Simple Thousand Island Recipe
- Mix ingredients
- Adjust measurements to accommodate the amount of dressing you want to make.
- If it is too thick for your taste, add a small amount of milk.
- Depending on the sweetness of the relish you are using you may want to add a dash of sugar.
- This recipe really depends on how much you are wanting to make and how sweet you want yours to taste.