As we finished off some cereal this morning I felt a little tug on my heart. Why not use the inside of the cereal boxes to teach the kids about God’s love?
Here is what we did…
As the kids painted we talked through this discussion. Keep in mind my kiddos are 3 and 5. If you have older kids I added some questions to prompt deeper discussion. 🙂
- Are we painting the inside or the outside of the cereal box?
- Can you point to your outside?
- Where is your inside?
- Just like you are painting these beautiful colors on the inside of the box, God wants to paint inside of us! The Bible teaches us that God wants to paint our hearts beautiful colors of love, courage, (you can discuss all the fruits of His Spirit- Galatians 5:22-23)
- With my 5 year old daughter we talk about this a lot because she loves the title of being a princess. We often ask: “If a princess has a pretty dress but an ugly heart (does ugly things) is she a beautiful princess?”
- Bible Verses to take a look at and talk about:
- 1 Samuel 16:7
- 1 Peter 3:3-4 (A great verse for our little princesses!!)
- John 13:35, Matthew 5:46-48, Luke 6:45 – for older kids talk about “why” God wants to fill us withHis love and the gifts of His Spirit.
- Because He loves us and He knows that we will need these things
- He wants us to use them with others.
- What are some ways to “live it out” today?
For more teachable moment ideas visit the Mommy and Me Devos page.