It can be so much fun to be creative and find teachable moments in even the simplest and silliest things.
From a Disney princess to the celebration of Halloween, my husband and I really make a point to use what we can in the world to teach our children about who they are in Christ and who God created them to be.
Here are just a few of the silly and ordinary ways we try to use the “everyday” to tie in to who Jesus is in our kids’ lives. Check back frequently as I will continue to add fun new ideas.
It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own. Our qualification comes from God. 2 Corinthians 3:5
- Turkeys to Teach: Here are some fun and free printables, recipes, and ideas to celebrate faith and family throughout the month of November. Include US history and the Bible to learn and FALL in love with Thanksgiving.
- Being Cupid: Celebrate Valentine’s Day with the kids! Talk about God’s PERFECT love. How can we love others like God loves us? Celebrate God’s love for us by coming up with ways to be “Cupid” to others!
- Little Memory Verses for Little Learners: FREE rhythms, printables, coloring pages and more to help your little one learn words from the Bible.
- Fun with the letter “J”: Find things that begin with the letter J and explore them together. From painting with jam, to learning about Job. Here are some fun & free resources to teach your little ones about the joy of the letter “J”!
- SuperBowl: Talk with your kids about being on God’s team! Play catch. God is the best coach ever. He ALWAYS wins! When we play on God’s team we can be confident that we will win the game! How can we “play” on God’s team?(help others, memorize our Bible verses, being kind, speaking words that honor God, obeying God’s word- like listening to Mommy and Daddy, not lying, etc) Looking for a fun and educational activity. Here is a FREE printable football coloring page. Print to color and lace.
- Princess: What makes a princess a princess? Just because a princess is in a pretty dress, is that what makes her beautiful? Have fun playing princess, reading princess books, and talking about what it is that makes someone a princess. Get back to the heart of what makes a young girl a princess. 😉
What’s in the Bible? Is one of my favorite resources for teaching my kiddos the history and stories in the Bible. I learn something every time I watch them too.
- Smallest House On the Block: Have your children started asking about having a bigger house? More toys? Is going to the store a nightmare? Take a deep breathe. Explain that your family chooses to use your money to help others and that is why you may have the smallest house (apartment/car/toys) on the block. How does God feel when we use our money to help others and His church? In our house my 5 year old will say “I am a Traurig. We use our money to help people”. Wow. What a great legacy we can leave with our kids. (Psalm 37:21)
- Marshmallows and Toothpicks: Try this simply and yummy activity with your kids! How can marshmallows teach trust?
- St. Patrick’s Day: Do you have any fun family traditions for St. Patrick’s Day? Here are a few ways you and your kids can celebrate- and learn!
- Legos: Building legos can be so much fun! Use these great toys to talk about one of God’s greatest Truths. Here is another fun LEGO post.
- God’s Egg-stra Special Gift: How can an Easter Egg help you teach your kids about the power of the Holy Spirit? Click HERE to find out.
- Playing in the Mud:Talk with your kids about the muddiness of our bad choices (sin). Have fun washing away the mud as you discover the fun and freedom Jesus gives us when he washes away our sin!
- Consequences (part1) (part 2): How can teaching your children about consequences help them learn more about a loving God?
- Big Brother Love: What jobs to big brothers and big sisters have? Jesus is the best big brother ever! He shows us how we are supposed to live. He sets a good example for us just like we can set a good example for our little brothers and sisters.
- Using FALL/ Autumn to teach the kiddos the Fall in love with Jesus
- Pumpkin Fun: Have fun playing with pumpkins and talking about how God created you to be special!
- Back Seat Driver: Talk with your kids in the car! How driving is like following God’s direction. Trusting God to take you where you need to go.
- Why We Have Eyes and How to Use Them: August may be Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month but talking with your kids and playing games to teach them about their eyes can happen year round. Here are some suggestions for you to learn about what our eyes see, what God sees, and how to guard our eyes!
- Baking: bake a cake, brownies, or even a cheesecake with your kiddos to teach them that God can use even the bad times in our lives for good.
- Cereal Box: Have fun painting the inside of a cereal box with the kids to help teach the beautiful attributes that God wants to paint inside our hearts!
- Lasagna Love: Bake a lasagna or try this fun lasagna craft. As you layer your lasagna talk about how much God loves us. There are so many layers to God’s love for us!
- Sunscreen: July is not only National Sunscreen Safety Month but also National Picnic Month AND National Parks Month. Use this month as a reminder to get out doors and point out all the amazing things God created! Or if you live in FL (like me) where we need sunscreen nearly year round- as you lather it on, ask the lil’ ones if they know WHO created the sun. Why did God create the sun?…etc